sitelink1 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/86842...ers-on-vss 
sitelink2  
sitelink3  

Question

- VSS is resuming it's sabotage of my repository again. The repair command won't let me repair, the lock VSS doesn't seem to affect currently logged in users-- and it isn't a user, its claiming the only person logged in is admin (via the VSS admin tool!) and I have already closed all instances of the VSS admin tool and client.

Answers

- In computer management, close all the sessions and open files. It's drastic, but that is the only way I found to fix it. You also might want to close the share temporarily.

- I had the same problem and even after following the steps in the answer above, it did not go away until I stopped the SQLWriter (Sql Server VSS Writer) and SSService (Visual SourceSafe LAN Service) services.

- Reboot the machine and re-try.

- Close also all Visual Studio instances since these are also (or can be) clients of Visual Source Safe.

- stopping SSService (Visual SourceSafe LAN Service) worked for me, thanks. it saved lot of time and confusions...

- I have this batch file running through the Task Scheduler 2:00 a.m. every day when no one should be logged in anyway, but they are. It seems to do the trick.

net stop sqlwriter
net stop ssservice
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual SourceSafe\analyze.exe" -C -D -F -V4 "D:\vss\data"
net start ssservice
net start sqlwriter

The only issue I have come across is the backup folder might have data in it, which stops analyzer in its tracks. So I might end up adding some commands to move the stuff out of the data\backup folder if I run into that issue again. (In that scenario, you have to keep the analyze.log file in the backup folder. I haven't done enough research into that, though.)

I hope this helps!

- -bd cmd option will remove the last backup. I use it anyways after renaming the backup folder by appending a timestamp. Analyze.exe -F -V3 -D -db -c -s "Drive:\Location".

- Thank you, Tamus. I will try that out, but how do you go about renaming the backup folder by appending a timestamp? I did add such a feature to my batch file, but it seems that it only creates the folder without moving the backup data into it.